Friday, March 13, 2009

Show Me Those Pearly Whites...

When Bean was 15 months old, she had her first dental appointment. I discovered a specialty kids' dentist just around the corner from our house and decided to give it a try. I have to say I was mightily, MIGHTILY impressed with this place. The whole clinic is completely geared towards little people - toys, books, puzzles and a video console all dominate the tastefully decorated waiting area. The dental assistants treat you like they have been waiting all day for your arrival, and just ooze a sense of calm and fun from the moment you walk in. The dentist chairs are perfectly sized for little bottoms, complete with a mini flat screen that comes right up to the chair in case your child cares to watch Madagascar (or some other kid-friendly flic) while they're having their dental work done. Suffice to say, that even when Bean was 15 months, she sat in the chair happily and thought she was somewhere REALLY special.

She had her second check-up on Tuesday. Since she's an older, slightly more suspicious toddler now, I was a little apprehensive about how she would react - but oh no. She just hopped right up into that chair like she'd been doing it every day. The dental assistant brought out a huge stuffed snake with a wide open mouth and let Bean brush its teeth with a gigantic toothbrush before demonstrating each and every dental implement to Bean in a fun, non-threatening way. Throughout the consultation, she was rewarded with praise, stickers and even a balloon animal. I'm not kidding, I could just about do a dance for how great this place is. I've truly found a gem, right here in my neighborhood, and would gladly travel some distance to have Bean remain a patient here.

The bad news is, our sweet little Bean has to have some work done. During her exam, I pointed out one particular spot to the dentist that has been giving us some trouble. On further inspection (and an x-ray - the only part of the whole experience that gave her, understandably, a little apprehension) it was revealed that she has a tooth that never fully developed in utero. As a result, it will never come in completely, is at high risk of infection and will likely cause problems for the spacing of all her other teeth if something isn't done. So - at the tender age of not even two, Bean is going to have a "baby root canal" and a crown put on that sweet little unformed baby tooth. Because of her young age, she must undergo general anesthetic which, for me, is the worst part of it. I suppose this will all be happening within the next couple of weeks, so we're certainly anxious to get it all over and done with. Fortunately I trust the dentist implicitly and know Bean is in good hands.

If you're a praying person, please remember her in your prayers (as well as mom and dad). Having any procedure done on your baby is hard to endure, and mom especially could really use the stamina.

Here are a few pictures of our patient. "A Kid's Place Dentistry" - I highly recommend it.

Bean meets the big snake.

Always looking around, wanting to know what's going on (like her mama).

Waiting for the next fun thing.

Theresa shows Bean the polisher.

Good girl letting her brush your teeth, Bean!

Getting to know her balloon puppy.

No comments: